Friday, May 6, 2011

A Decade Old!

Can this really be true? Can I really be the mother of a ten year old? Where has the time gone? Will Mitchel ever know how he has changed me, made me better, helped me to learn and grow, and given me a reason to wake up everyday? It's been quite the experience for both of us and I am so grateful that Mitchel was willing to come down first and show me the ropes of being a mom. The morning began with presents from Mom and Dad. Mitchel is really fun to find presents for because he loves to build things and anything related to Science. The best place for stuff like that is Hobby Lobby where Mike found him some rockets to launch into space. We also got him a build your own remote control car among a few other little things.
That afternoon, we went out to lunch at The Mayan. Then it was time for the family party that night. We invited everyone in both the Miller and Harker families, and most everyone came. That is a lot of people for my little house, but we all squeezed in tight to celebrate with Mitchel. Grandma Miller made the cake and cupcakes while I made Lemon Bars (Mitchel's favorite dessert).


Mitchel loved all the attention and gifts he received from his cousins, but his biggest surprise was an Ipod from Aunt Tracy and Grandma and Grandpa Miller. Tracy had loaded it up with over 100 songs and Mitchel has been jamming out to it around the house ever since. Max and Mason could not be more jealous and now both want one of their own.
I really can't believe how grown up Mitchel is becoming. He has so many great qualities. I think in honor of his tenth birthday, I will list 10 things that I love about Mitchel.

1) He loves to read and has really gotten into the Percy Jackson series lately along with Greek and Roman Mythology.

2) He is a hard worker, he works quickly, and he doesn't complain about working hard.

3) He is a good big brother and shares everything he has with his younger brothers.

4) He is so dang smart. He soaks up information like a sponge.

5) His laugh when he watches something funny on T.V. or reads a funny part in the book is so genuine and contagious.

6) He is very close to the spirit and can recognize when he feels the Holy Ghost.

7) He has a strong desire to do the right thing, even though it is hard sometimes.

8) He likes to stay up late reading, and yet is able to pop out of bed in the morning. He must be a night and a morning person (a little bit of Mike and a little bit of me)
9) He loves school and loves to learn.

10) He is very particular and has his favorite of everything and knows exactly what he likes and doesn't like. I guess you could say he is stubborn, but I think later in life, this quality might come in handy, even though it drives me crazy sometimes.


Mitchel really is amazing and I just feel like he is destined to be great in this life. Maybe every mother thinks that about her kids, but for some reason, I just know Mitchel is here to do something special. He was sent here, at this time, to our family for a reason and I feel a great responsibility to teach him well and to help him see his potential. I am so blessed to be his mom. I know that sometimes I am a little more hard on him than the others and I expect more out of him, but maybe that is the curse of being the oldest boy. I love him more than my heart could express and he truly has been a blessing to me these past ten years. Happy Birthday Mitchel and I love you!

3 comments:

Emily said...

What a great kid! Happy Birthday to Mitchel. And how crazy that he's ten years old...he was a 4 month old baby at our reception. Where does the time go?

Stephanie said...

Oh, how I love Mitchel! I, too, can hardly believe how fast the years have gone. Mitchel is tenderhearted, and loving and affectionate, and so kind to me. I love seeing him come through my front door and heading right to me! He makes me feel special, and I hope he knows just how very special he is to me. Happy Birthday, my sweet boy. Grandma M.

Steve & Brenda said...

This was a great tribute to your firstborn son Mitchel. I can't wait to see what the "something special" will be that you feel as his mom. Something to look forward to isn't it? Great b-day party by the way Mitchel.