Saturday, June 19, 2010

Girls Camp

Does it get any better than spending four days in a beautiful setting with some of the most amazing women and girls on the planet? I think not! This was my fourth year attending girls camp as a leader and I'm finally realizing that I never want to miss it! It is so much fun and you get to see these girls as their "true" selves. I am so lucky to be their leader. I learn so much from them and it is so fun to watch them grow and express their feelings and get over their fears. They are truly AWESOME!
This year was stake camp and our theme was "There's No Place Like Home". Everything was based around the Wizard of Oz. We were assigned the Tin man with the value of Good Works. Each girl got this hoodie with a picture of a tin man on it that said, "Got Heart?" Then they all had funnels for hats. Too cute! I am surrounded by the most amazing, creative, dedicated, and funny women serving with me in Young Women's. Below is Jan (an adviser), Natasha (camp director), Kristen (first counselor), and Me (president). I didn't have to worry about anything. They took care of every last detail! What a blessing they have been in my life. I couldn't do this calling without them!
So the weather was pretty crazy. We had everything from blazing sun and sunburns, to snow on the ground one morning with rain, hail, wind, and freezing temps in between. It made for an eventful evening and night, and also a lot of schedule changes, but somehow it all worked out and we were still able to do everything we planned. In fact, I think it turned out even better than it would have otherwise. Somehow I think Heavenly Father knew that and took things into his own hands. This is a picture of our campsite on the second morning with a light dusting of snow and frost.
I really didn't have to do to much this camp, but I was in charge of cooking my famous chicken noodle soup. It was yummy!
Here we all made it to the last day. Each girl got an award from the YCLs and a heart necklace.
Going home is always bitter sweet. I want to be home to take a shower and sleep in my own bed, but I love the feelings I have while up at camp. There really is no place like it to feel the spirit and have my testimony grow. The girls were all so cute and helpful and kind to each other and to us as leaders. I love laughing and talking until the wee hours of the morning with the other leaders. I love testimony meeting and hearing how much the girls have grown. It makes all the work leading up to camp worth it. It really was a wonderful time and I am so grateful for the opportunity to go and be with these future mothers and leaders. I love them all!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Reading about your Girls Camp brought back some wonderful memories for me...there is nothing that brings a group of leaders and girls closer to each other, and to the Spirit. It is SO worth all the time and effort.

Emily said...

Yay for Girls Camp, as much for the leaders as the girls! Such good memories of it all...

Christy Smith said...

Oh, I'm so bummed I wasn't there this time! Looks like it was so fun!

Nate and Kristin said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time! It helps when you have awesome leaders~ I miss camp...