Sunday, March 15, 2009

Basketball Star and Awesome Friends

I usually post stuff that is all about me and my life, but this past week something cool happened to Mike so I thought I would write about it. Mike has been playing on a winter basketball league every Tuesday night for the past three months. At his last game, he was presented a trophy for the leading scorer for the entire league! He out scored everyone by over 40 points. He was as surprised (and embarrassed) as anyone, but at the same time, he was really proud of himself (and so was I) He may be getting older, but he's still got game!

Okay, now back to my life. Saturday was a really fun day for me. I along with 5 of some of my best friends from High School got together for dinner. Some of these ladies I haven't seen for years on account that they moved out of state while their husbands went to school or worked in different areas of the country. Well we're all now back in Utah so we thought it would be a great time to have a reunion. It was so much fun. We sat for over three hours just talking, reminiscing, and enjoying having an evening away from our kids to just be "with the ladies." It was like no time had passed at all. They are just as amazing and fun and talented and beautiful as they all were in High School. I felt a little like Alma the Younger when he meets back up with the sons of Mosiah in the book of Mormon. The thing he was most happy about was that all of his friends were "still his brethren in the Lord; yea they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth..." (Alma 17:2) This is just how I felt while I was with these women. They were amazing examples to me back in High School and influenced so much my testimony and wanting to choose the right. And now here we all are as wives and mothers, and the light of Christ just shines through each one of them. It is living proof of what living the gospel can do. They are all happily married to amazing men, they serve faithfully in their callings, and they are teaching their children the gospel. It is these kinds of women that are changing the world for the better! I feel honored to call all of them my friends, even though it has been years since we've been together. They will never know what an influence their examples have been on my life. Not only are they spiritual giants, they are so much fun! So I hope that we don't wait years again to get together again. I love you all!

(Laurie, Kelly, Me, Kali, Jenn, and Kirsti) Thanks guys for such a great evening. Keep in touch -K-!

5 comments:

Steve & Brenda said...

Way to go Mike! He didn't mention it at all when we spent the guys day out yesterday during the shower! What a humble dude. That is great you were able to see all your old friends Mere. What a fun time. You're awesome sis.

Emily said...

High school friends are the best! And so are "ladies" nights...way impressed by your hubby's stats, too, mine wanted to play this quarter too, but alas, there is a house to build...always something, maybe next year, how fun if they could play together...and we could cheer!!!! Are ya up for a few herkies and/or shoulder L stands?!

Emily said...

that was supposed to just be L stands, not shoulder L stands, although that might be a sight to see!

Julz said...

Congrats Mike!! That's so exciting! And how fun that you got to hang out with old friends! Now we need to get us old friends together! :)

Kari said...

Congrats Mike! Love the trophy, where is it being showcased in the house?! Or is it in the front yard on a stand? :)