Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Budget

It's sad to say, but I am finally learning how to stick to a budget. Honestly, since Mike and I got married we have never had an official budget. That doesn't mean we were crazy with our money. We have always been frugal and spent our money wisely, but we also went out to dinner often and I had a little bit of a Target habit. It was never any big deal until just this last year, when, like everyone else, the economy put a little cramp in the Harker financial household. Mike took a 10% pay cut, I couldn't get a job at the school with enough hours. Then Mike went and tore his Achilles tendon, I had a baby, and hospital bills started piling up. To top it off, I had gotten a little to careless with my spending habits, and before you knew it, we were in over our heads.
So back in December, Mike and I decided that we had to get our financial lives under control. Thus, "The Harker Budget Book" was born. Mike figured out what income we had coming in and placed a value on all our "fixed" expenses; tithing, car payment, house payment, bills, etc. What was left we divided by four and that was the money I could spend for the week on everything else; groceries/food, entertainment, clothes, gas, haircuts, hobbies, and everything else we need to live. And guess what? It is HARD! There is way more things I need/want to buy and not enough money in week to pay for them all. So guess what I am learning? Delayed gratification and not getting everything I want when I want it, and sometimes, going without.
I now cook dinner every night. We used to go out at least once a week. Mike is now taking his lunch to work every day. He hasn't done that since the first year we were married. I only go to Target and get what I need instead of wandering aimlessly through the store and putting random things in my cart. I cut coupons like mad and make a strict grocery list by price matching as much as possible.
We have been doing this for about three months now and I don't see things changing anytime soon. We are trying really hard to get out of debt and follow the council we've been given for years of living within our means. Its hard, I get frustrated, and I wish we had more to spend. But at the same time, it is making me feel powerful and in control. I know where every single penny we have is going. I am choosing how to spent my money the best way for my family. I am learning how to make meals that will not only feed us for dinner, but for Mike's lunch too. It is working. It is hard, but we are doing it.

8 comments:

Kirsti said...

Good for you!!! Keep up the great work.

Stephanie said...

It IS hard to live within a budget, but it is SO worth the peace of mind in knowing where the money goes, and in finally getting out of debt. I'm proud of you and Mike for making a plan and sticking with it! Just hang in there-it WILL be worth it, I promise. It's a GOOD way to live and it will save you stress and worry and heartache down the road. Love you.

Laurie D. said...

I can totally relate to this post. We are doing to same thing. Especially now that we have a mortgage again. My Target trips have taken a hiatus for a while and there is not much wiggle room in the budget at all. I get frustrated too, but I know I'll be happy in the end.

No, I was not feeling sick Saturday while you guys were here. It wasn't until I woke up in the middle of the night.

DottieLou said...

Hang in there ... I think the econony has hit everyone this past year... there is a freedom in being debt free... (except the house of course )

Unknown said...

Good job!!! It's hard, but so worth it! Keep up the good work! I heart Pinching Your Pennies....sounds like you do too!!

Kari said...

Nice work! It's such a pain to stick to a budget but it is worth it. :)

Steve & Brenda said...

What an awesome plan Mere and Mike. I am glad you are doing well at it, even though it is difficult. We could do a lot better ourselves. You have inspired me for the better with your post.

Kelly L said...

I'm impressed! I so wish I did a better job of budgeting and sticking to what I know I should or shouldn't be spending. It's definitely a challenge--but, we're promised it will be worth it, right? Maybe I'll be inspired now with your good example!