Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Day In My Life

I am constantly saying that there just isn't enough time in the day to do all that I need/want to do. I feel like I am running around all day doing "stuff" and then at the end of the day I wonder if I really did anything. So I thought I would do a little experiment. For an entire day I decided to keep track of everything I did, every minute of the day. I wanted to know, am I really as busy as I think I am? Am I wasting my time with unnecessary things? Am I spending my time wisely? So this is how my day broke down on Wednesday, January 13, 2010...

5:05 a.m. - Alarm goes off. Time to WAKE UP!
5:30-6:30 - Spinning Class at Gold's Gym
7:00 - Shower, get dressed
7: 15 - Wake up Mitchel. Get him breakfast, make lunch, pack backpack, etc.
7: 40 - Max and Mason wake up. Mason wet the bed (my fault, I forgot to make him go right before bed last night) so into the tub.
7:55 Mitchel out the door for school (luckily I didn't have the carpool today)
8:00 breakfast for Max and Mason
8:05 Miles wakes up

Peek-A-Boo
I see you!

8:25-9:25 - Make grocery list, match the adds, cut coupons
9:25-9:35 - Phone call to my YW 1st Councilor to make sure we are on the same page for the activity tonight.
9:35-9:45 - change and dress Miles (he's cute so we play for a minute)
9:45-10:15 - do my makeup and hair, brush teeth, etc. while Max plays on the computer, Mason reads books, and Miles sits in his bouncy chair
10:15 - 10:20 - Make bed, pick up books
10:20 - Miles down for his first nap
10:20-10:37 - Clean kitchen
Before
After
10:40 - 11:18 - Scan in photos for a photo montage for a wedding I am filming on Saturday
11:20 - Cook, eat, and clean up lunch
11:45 - take Max to Kindergarten
12:00-1:30 p.m. - Shopping at Walmart
1:30-2:10 - Unload groceries while returning the messages on my answering machine
2:10 - 2:50 - Play with Mason and Miles, feed Miles cereal, color with Mason, take 4 phone calls
2:50 - Miles down for nap #2, check email and facebook
3:02 - Start boiling chicken for dinner tonight, put in a load of laundry, have a snack
3:15 - Mitchel and Max home from school
3:15 - 3:42 - Help Mitchel with homework and piano practice, get out art activities for Max and Mason
3:42 -4:25 - Work on wedding video
4:30 - Start making dinner (chicken noodle soup)
5:00 - Take Mitchel to piano
5:05-5:15 - Back to making dinner
5:15 - finally sit down and turn on the T.V. to watch the news.
6:00 - Mike gets home. Eat dinner as a family
6:10- Miles wakes up. Change and feed him
6:30-9:00 - Young Womens. I taught a lesson on healthy eating and nutrition. Then we made smoothies and a healthy dessert (fun and yummy)
9:00-9:35 - Clean up the house after being gone to YW. Feed Miles again. Brush my teeth and wash my face. Put Miles in pajamas and put him to bed
9:35-9:45 - Family scripture reading and family prayer
9:45-10:00 - Read 2 stories to Max and Mason
10:02 p.m. - tuck everyone in bed. Set out gym clothes for tomorrow
10:05-10: 15 - talk to Mike
10:15 - get in bed and fall asleep INSTANTLY!
Wow! What an experiment. I learned that I am as busy as I thought and I am using my time pretty well. There were a lot of things I didn't have time to do like laundry, vacuum, and clean the bathroom. Now I know why some of that stuff has to wait for other days. It also helped me see that on those days where I am not quite as busy, it's okay to take a nap and I shouldn't feel guilty about it. This was fun to do and gave me a new perspective of my life. I noticed that I am very good at mulit-tasking and prioritizing what needs to get done first. I don't see anything slowing down in the near future, so I'm just going to keep on plugging along and doing the best I can.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

It made me realize that I do absolutely nothing and waste my time! You are amazing!!

Laurie D. said...

I loved this! I think I might have to copy your idea to see how well I utilize my time. And, hello! Your spinning class is forever long. No wonder why you're in such great shape!

Christa said...

That was nice. I'm going to copy you too. I can't believe it only takes you 15 minutes to shower and get dressed!! That's amazing. I might just have to figure out how to shorten my shower/get dressed time!! That's awesome though. You really are as amazing as we all think!

Stephanie said...

That was very interesting to read - and NO, I will NOT be copying your idea to see how I utilize MY time!!
I could have told you you are NOT wasting time - I've seen how much you get done, and it's amazing! I'm proud of you, Mere.
MOM

DottieLou said...

good for you I should try that

Steve & Brenda said...

Best Blog post I have ever seen. Wow. You are an amazing woman Mere, but I already knew that about you. I just didn't know the details really. I am impressed. Loved how you put photos on there with your daily "minutes." Home made chicken soup? Wow, you are good!

Julz said...

You are my hero.

Emily said...

WOW! Your "everyday" sounds just as productive as my most productive day! Guess I need to get movin!

Supershepherds said...

I'm exhausted just reading your post. You are awesome.