Wednesday, July 13, 2011

4th of July Weekend

AMERICAN FORK CANYON

I am so grateful to be married to someone who is willing to go to all the work to take us camping, because trust me, it is a LOT of work. But we have so much fun together and see so many beautiful places and things, that it is well worth the effort. For the 4th of July weekend, we went up American Fork Canyon. It was fun to go camping in trees, since we have been doing a lot of camping down south in the red rocks for a while. This was the sunrise on the first morning. Gorgeous!
A breakfast of pop tarts and cereal.

There is a little place called "Cascade Springs" where the water has been traveling under the mountains for like 2 miles and then all the sudden comes out of the ground in these beautiful springs.


It is a Harker camping tradition to always have one dinner of hot dogs roasted over the fire. They always taste better while camping.

The next day, Aunt Tracy joined us for a hike up to Timpanogos Cave. It is a very steep hike, but my boys are troopers and did a great job!


I love the view and how you can see down into Utah County.

We made it to the top!

The inside of the cave is so cool.


As always, the boys earned another Jr. Ranger badge. I think they are up to 9 or 10 now.

Before we packed up and headed home, we played a little round of baseball. Max has a killer swing and was knocking them way over the trees.

FOURTH OF JULY

We got home from camping in the afternoon and found our flag from the scouts in our yard. Miles is obsessed with flags right now and points them whenever he sees one. He wanted to stand by this one for the rest of the day.

That evening we headed out to Murray Park to hang out with the Millers and Harkers while we waited for the fireworks. This is one of my favorite holidays because it is so low key and relaxing.

The hit of the night was the glow bracelets Grandma Miller brought for all the grandkids.

It was a wonderful, relaxing weekend. I love being with my family and participating in our traditions. We have a lot of fun together and we are lucky to have each other. I am also so grateful to live in the United States of America. We are so blessed!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Harkers! I love the pictures of your camping adventures...and the boys in their baseball hats! Those hot dogs over the fire look delicious! When are you going to make s'mores in your backyard and invite us over???

Laurie D. said...

What a fun weekend. You are right though, camping (or at least the preparation) takes so much work. This is why Joel and I haven't done much camping yet with our kids. I hope we get better at it.

P.S. I'm bummed you won't be coming to the dinner on the 29th. I really wanted to see you, Kali and Jenn. Oh well. I will get to see some people I haven't seen since graduation.