Monday, August 1, 2011

Girls' Camp

I can't believe I just attended my 5th girls camp in a row as a YW leader. What a blessing and fabulous opportunity that has been in my life. I am sure that my testimony and love for the gospel has grown even more than the girls these past five years. I am grateful for every girl and every leader that I have been able to attend camp with. Each one of them has blessed my life more than they could possibly imagine. Even though Girls Camp is a lot of work, it is all worth it, and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has allowed me to be a part of this amazing experience not just once, but five times. Am I lucky or what???!!!

Our theme this year was "ER-Eternal Rewards." Our camp directer is a nurse, so this theme seemed fitting. Each of us got a pair of scrubs to wear at camp. The leaders got hot pink per my request. Some of my leaders absolutely hate pink, but indulged me enough to not complain about the color too much. These are some of the most amazing, spiritual, and dedicated women in the church and I am blessed and honored to work with them and call them my friends.

Jan-Beehive adviser, Julie-Secretary, Dianna-Personal Progress, Megan-Mia Maid adviser, Kimberly-Camp director, Me-YW president, Shireece-2nd counselor, Willow-Laural adviser, and Kristin-1st councilor

This is the first time in my five years that ALL the leaders were able to attend. How cool is that? We had so much fun together and each leader did a perfect job on all their lessons and tuck-ins.

These are the girls in their 1st-4th year at camp. They are all such cuties. Each one of them are so talented and fun and they all get along great. Not one of them complained or left anyone out. I love all of them!

And these are the awesome YCL's (youth camp leaders, or the Laurals). They were a riot! They actually planned a lot of camp and made sure that everything was taken care of. The younger girls were even given the chance to go "snipe" hunting. The YCL's also gave out fabulous awards to each camper at the end of camp that were absolutely hilarious and fitting.

Of course every girls camp has crafting. This is Julie trying to teach us how to boone doggle. It was pretty complicated and frustrating, but we each gave it a go and did our best.

We took a hike around camp Timberlane and stopped for a photo opp.

Aren't we the cutest group ever?

One of our fabulous traditions is the skit. We bring up a bunch of different props and the girls just have to make something up on the spot. It wouldn't be fun unless the leaders did it too. This is our "rap" number during our skit.

Another tradition is doing a service project. We cleared out a campsite that hadn't been used for a while and spread wood chips around the camp. It was raining a little during this but again, there was not one complaint or whining from any of the girls. They worked fast and hard too.
My favorite tradition at girls camp is eating!! We always have the best food and plenty of it.
So this is probably my last girls camp, at least as a YW president, for a while. I have loved every minute of it and am so grateful that I got to learn and grow with these girls. I love them like my own daughters and will remember with fondness my time at girls camp. I love each and every tradition and of course testimony meeting. It has been fun to watch the girls that have been with me every year grow and mature and learn more about the gospel. They will make fabulous wives, mothers, and leaders someday. I am excited to watch their lives progress.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That sure brings back lots of great memories for me of planning and going to many Girl's Camps. Now those girls are married with kids of their own or are working career women. Boy, the years sure go by fast! I'm really glad you have had those experiences, Meredith. The girls are blessed to have had you!

DottieLou said...

5 years wow... I applaude you for still being excited about it. Mike is right you are amazing