Saturday, February 14, 2009

My thoughts on never having a girl

So, I honestly have only been really excited and grateful since we found out we were having a boy. But just today, while I was standing in the shower, I started thinking of all the things I'll never experience or have to do since I won't have any daughters. I thought I would make a list, and those of you that have girls can add to it if you want.

I'll probably never have anything pink in my house. (when Max had to take something to preschool that was pink, the only thing we could find was a piece of pink cardstock)

I'll never have to put bows in anyone's hair.

I'll never have to buy a training bra.

I'll never buy a princess costume for Halloween.

I'll never have a "Daddy's Girl."

I'll never have to run around Disneyland getting the autographs of all the princesses.

I'll never have to buy special hair products or make-up for anyone but myself.

I'll never have to look for a buy a prom dress.

I'll never have to watch "Dora the Exporer"

I'll never have to buy anyone jewlery.

I'll never get to plan a wedding (unless one of my future daughter-in-laws lets me.)

I'll never have to worry about anyone else having a "period" except for me.

I'll never have to worry about hurt feelings when she doesn't get asked to a dance.

I'll never have to go to a ballet recital, dance class, or worry about trying out for cheerleader. (At least I don't think I will)

I'll never have to buy a frilly dress.

I'll never have a tea party.

I'll never paint anyone's toenails and fingernails but my own.

I'll never pay tons of money for a perm or hair extensions or what ever else is popular to do to your hair at the time.

I'll never have someone who actually likes going shopping for home decor items with me. (At least I know now my older two boys hate it)

I won't have to worry about camping somewhere close to a bathroom. We can really rough it now! (I've learned to squat pretty well in the last few summers)

I'll get one night all to myself every year when the boys go to "Father and Sons."

I'll never get to use this blessing dress that I bought before Mason was born when I was sure that he was a girl.

So for the most part, I am grateful I'll never have to do some of those things (the prom dresses) and some I'm a little sad (the wedding) but that's the way it goes. Let me know about the other stuff I'll be missing that I probably don't even know about.

11 comments:

Laurie D. said...

You will never have to put tights on anyone besides yourself. This is one of my least favorite parts of Sunday morning. The seams are never in the right place, someone inevitably gets a hole or run in their socks so then we don't have a pair for the next week, they are always too long or too short...etc. What a pain I tell you!!

Kari said...

Meredith~

Never say Never!

:)

Stephanie said...

Imagine how long - and SAD - your list would be if you were never able to have ANY children...boys OR girls.
For me, I'm just counting my FOUR Harker Boy Blessings! Love, MOM

Meredith said...

Oh, I'm not moping about never having a girl, just thinking about how my life will be with only boys. And I know that one day, I'll probably have granddaughters, so I'll still get a chance with all that. So I'm certainly not feeling sorry for myself. In fact, I'm quite grateful. Many people tell me how much easier boys are then girls.

DottieLou said...

hold up on the disney princess thing... I will have to dig up that picture of Zach with Aerial when he was about 11.. oh la la .. the prom dress thing could be a blessing...in fact I am certain it is a blessing... and as for weddings hopefully they pick someone amazing that will involve you in the process... but until then enjoy the bugs and dirt and squatting in the woods.

christa said...

amen on the tights. You're so awesome for having such a good attitude about it. Although, I must say, my boys have been a blast, and it would be fun to have 4 altogether like that. You can totally borrow my girls anytime you want to do any of those girl things....and as long as we're on the subject...you can help me, help my daughters plan their weddings because I totally think you're the best at planning parties. I'm totally calling you :)
Modesty discussions are interesting too!

Steve & Brenda said...

Gees Mere, I became depressed reading your list of things you wont get to do. A lot of those I would like to do too. I am happy you are having a boy again. All the Harker boys are just cute and fun.

Emily said...

Well Congratulations! I'll add that you'll get to be the only Drama Queen in the house, not that you are one...but little girls definitley are! And between your husband and boys you've got a built in basektball team, complete with one cheerleader! W-A-Double R-I, O.R.S!

Kirsti said...

Hello Meredith!
I ran into Michael at the grocery store last night and told him to tell you Hello for me. He then told me you had a blog, and how to access it. (Why had I never thought of that before?) Anyway, so fun to see you and your beautiful family. Congrats on #4, you have almost got yourself a b-ball team now.
I'm back in Utah now, we moved here last summer and are at my parents home while they are on a mission. I hope we can get together sometime soon.
Best wishes, Kirsti

Momma Dil said...

Always having to wipe front to back comes to mind :) You'd be amazed at the places that stuff can go on a little girl.

Abe says that you'll never have to worry about someone telling you one thing and meaning something completely different. Men...

Oh, also...you'll never have to try and put a shoe that is smaller than a pencil eraser on a doll that's even smaller.

Kristi said...

I love being a mom of just boys. Why worry about the things you might be missing. I might never have to pick out a prom dress, but I will get to take my boys to get there tux, make sure they pick the correct color flowers to match the girls dress, etc. I still have to comb thier hair read them bedtime stories, wrestle, play outside in the dirt and answer thier endless questions of why does....? We get to be amazing super heros at Halloween and I can't wait to take them to Disneyland to see Tigger and Micky. I am looking forward to sports that my kids will be involved in as well as hopefully music recigtals of some sort. Being a mom is awesome regardless of boys or girls. I just enjoy what I have and don't waste time worring about what I don't have!