Thursday, May 21, 2009

Brace Face and Peg Leg

Mike and I would like to show off our new accessories we acquired this past Tuesday. Mike went back in for his follow-up visit and instead of coming away with a "boot" the doctor gave him this lovely cast instead. Because of the severity of Mike's injury and how much they had to fix, the surgeon wanted to keep it more stable. So Mike will have this cast for 4 weeks! AHHHHH! So that means four more weeks of crutches and not being able to do too much.Can you imagine how not white this will be after 4 weeks. Yuck! If your lucky, maybe he'll let you sign it though. This is a picture of me on Tuesday morning before going in to see the orthodontist.

This is me today with my new accessory, BRACES! (Not the most flattering picture, but it was the best Max could do.) Anyway, my Dad works for this place called Ultradent. They make all sorts of dental products. A year ago, he found out he could get his children braces for only $500. Well a year ago that sounded great to me, but it has taken this long to get all the information and ex rays and finally an appointment to get them done. (Let's remember that I am now almost 9 months pregnant too). My dad also said he would pay for them since he felt bad he couldn't get them for me as a kid. So I went in on Tuesday and on they went. I went home and felt like the girl on the TV show "Ugly Betty" and also about 14 years old. They don't hurt too bad, but are just uncomfortable and hard to eat with. I don't have the bottom ones on yet because I have an overbite and if he put them on now I would be biting on metal. So we'll work on the top ones for a while and get the bottom ones on later. I'm having second thoughts as to if this was the right thing to do, but now they're on and there's really no going back. I am hoping in a year or so that it will all be worth it and I'll have the beautiful teeth I've always hoped for.

8 comments:

Kari said...

Ooh BRACES?! Man do I feel bad for you! I had them for 3 years. Didn't get them off until AFTER my senior picture was taken. Good luck with them. Invest in some wax. ;)

Emily said...

Hilarious title! It seems lots of adults have braces these days so don't feel bad. Even Derek wouldn't mind getting some and boy if he could for only 500 bucks he would! That's a great deal.
And you'll have to take a picture of the non-white cast 4 weeks from now, lovely.!

Unknown said...

:) i can't wait to see the braces on sunday :)~~~~~~Rachel Petrick

Laurie D. said...

I love the title of this post also. You guys have had a lot happen with your family lately. I hope Mike heals quickly. What a pain.

Did you still want to come up the first week in June? My kids get out of school on the 3rd, so if you wanted to do something the 4th or 5th that would be great.

Stephanie said...

You look so cute, Meredith! And ANY fourteen yr. old would be thrilled to look like you!! Remember to keep your eye on the prize! Straight teeth are comin'! Love you.
MOM

Emily Gray Clawson said...

It's all good. Right? You guys hang in there and I think the braces are cute. LOL. Now you'll fit in even better with the Young Women. LOL

Lindsay said...

So good to run in to you at Target! Loved the braces and the baby bump!

Adrianne Miller said...

Did you know that I had braces for 4 and a half years?? My teeth still aren't straight and have basically gone back since I got them off my senior year.
You are going to love getting them tightened. Hopefully you don't have to have the rubber bands as well.