Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Harker Hospital

The Patients
The Foot
The x-ray
Here is the deal with the foot/tendon surgery. As you can see in this x-ray, Mike had a very pointy bone in his heel called a bone spur. If you look up from that you can see a little fragment of broken off bone that ripped his Achilles tendon. So when the surgeon went in, he had to shave off the pointy bone and then put in some screws to reattach the tendon to the bone. That is about the extent of my understanding of the whole procedure. It did go well though and now Mike is recovering by keeping it propped up, taking drugs, and watching all the extended versions of the "Lord of the Ring" movies.
Mason on the other hand is not recovering well. We are on day 4 of him not being able to hold much down. I called the doctor yesterday and they just told me to keep trying to give him fluids as much as possible and don't freak out till day 5. Okay. In the meantime my carpets, couch, blankets, bowls, pillows, and mattresses are, shall we say, covered in nastiness!!! My next order of business will be to get a carpet and upholstery person in here ASAP! I've actually thrown away two pillows and washed more pajamas, blankets, bowls and carpet stains than I ever hope to again. Oh well.
It really has been hard to watch him suffer. I think I'm understanding a little bit of how Heavenly Father feels when he has to watch us go through hard things. He's there to comfort us and hold us and do all he can to help, but he still has to watch us go through trials and uncomfortable things. I wish I could take all the sickness away from Mason right now, but I can't, and I'm sure Heavenly Father feels like that too. (Although luckily he has a bigger perspective and can see how our trials will make us stronger, which is why he doesn't take them away, even though he could.) I am understanding more and more how much Heavenly Father does love each of us, because of the way I feel about my own children. Sometimes the feelings are so strong that I feel like I could burst. I am just hoping and praying that Mason can get back to his usual, fun, cute self soon, because I sure do miss him!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

That x-ray looked like one from
"BIG FOOT!" I'm so glad the surgery is over and Mike can now start healing. As for Mason, I will be soo happy when he is better! To have him just lay on the couch, looking gray and pale, is awful! I miss his singing and silly dancing, and eating chips and playing games at my house! Get well soon, Masie! I love you.
Grandma

Emily said...

At least one patient is smiling! How awful for your little guy though. Maybe you should go to nursing school when all is said and done, you're getting some good qualification in.
And BOO to laundry, I totally hear you there sister. Doing it as we speak, hating every second of it!

Emily Gray Clawson said...

That is so rotten! I had no idea you guys were going through all of this! Is the RS bringing you dinner? Can I? The Romo's do an amazing job of cleaning carpet and upholstery and they have great rates. Just a thought. Hang in there!

Kari said...

I hope Mike has an easy recovery from surgery. That x-ray looked painful. And poor little Mason!! Is he feeling better yet?

Nate and Kristin said...

Oh my goodness Meredith! Way to get it all at once! I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well. I hope he has a nice speedy recovery. I also hope that by now Mason on feeling better! Poor little guy. That's the worst. It's so hard to see them so miserable. Especially because they usually don't understand!

Laurie D. said...

I hope Mason is doing better now. That's no fun. I would LOVE for you guys to come up the first week in June. The Heritage Center was really cool and I think your kids would love it. Just let me know what day will work for you because I'm pretty open.