Monday, June 29, 2009

Miles' birth story




So this post is mostly for me so that I won't forget any of the details about Miles' birth. I want to write down my whole experience for my journaling records:
The hospital called Wednesday night and told me to expect a call to come to the hospital between 8-10 am. I was the fourth in line to be induced, so they said it would probably be closer to 10. So on Thursday morning Mike got up and showered around seven and I got in after him, thinking I would have plenty of time to do my hair and makeup and vacuum the house one more time. But at 7:45 the phone rang and it was the hospital telling me to get there in a half an hour! I quickly fixed my hair and Mike and I ran out the door, and I had to do my makeup in the car.
We arrived at the hospital about 8:30 and by 9:00 I was hooked up to the pitocin and Dr. Froerer broke my water. At 9:30 the nurse asked if I wanted my epidural because the anesthesiologist was going to be doing a C-section. Well at that time I wasn't feeling any pain and when I had been induced before, it took at least an hour before I had felt any contractions, so I said I could wait till after he was done. Boy was that a mistake! Twenty minutes later my contractions were coming fast and furious!! I had to wait clear until 11:00 for the epidural and I was dying. But after I got that done, labor was great. By then I was dialated to a 7 so we called my mom and dad (my photographer and videographer) to come on in. By 12:30 I was fully dialated and ready, but it took Dr. Froerer a little while to come in.
At 12:58 I was ready to push. I gave one big push, one medium push, and out came Miles! He was born at 1:01 pm. By far my fastest and easiest delivery ever.
They put him up on my chest right away and he was perfect. I could tell that he was going to be my biggest baby by far, and I was right. He weighed in at 8lbs. 7 oz. and was 20.5 inches long. Max was my next biggest baby at only 7lbs. 2 oz. so Miles beat him by over a pound. No wonder my belly was so big!!
So then they cleaned him off a little and had me hold him next to my chest for about 45 minutes. It was really cool because all the nurses and everyone left and it was just me, Mike, my mom and dad and Miles. We took tons of pictures and just looked him all over. It was awesome!
Then it was time to go to my recovery room. Once we were settled we called Mike's mom and had her bring in Mitchel, Max, and Mason. They were so sweet!! First they all came and asked me how I was doing, then they each took a turn holding Miles. They were all so tender and soft and it was a really amazing experience to have all my boys together at last. I am by far the luckiest mom on this planet!
The hospital stay was fabulous, with my family visiting and lots of peace and quiet. The whole delivery was perfect and Miles is absolutely perfect. I feel so blessed to be able to be his mom and watch him grow. I am loving having a baby in our house again. I love how when I look at him, I see endless possibilities of who he can become. I love his long, black hair. I love his little cry. I love all the little clothes and diapers. I love that I can feel relaxed and just enjoy this time because I know it goes by so fast. I wish I could make it last forever! I love you Miles and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father allowed you to come to our family.
Love, Mom

12 comments:

Kari said...

Congratulations to you guys. He's beautiful. Glad he arrived safe and sound.

Kara Klc said...

I can't stop laughing at those little cheeks! I love baby fat .... on babies :)

Unknown said...

Hey, Dr. Froerer is my doctor too. Did we know that before? He is amazing. We are excited for you. Rachel and Rebecca have been checking your blog daily for updates! Enjoy this time!

Leslee

Emily said...

I'm just impressed you were putting make-up on and doing your hair, seems like the 3 months of my pregnancies, I'm lucky to even get a bra on! Who am I kidding, even un-pregnant I don't do hair and make-up half the time, but that can just be our little secret...I digress, what I meant to say in this comment was...THE CHEEKS! Can't. even. handle. THE CHEEKS!

Stephanie said...

Reading your account of Miles' birth made me cry - again! And I was even there to witness the miracle of his birth! He is so beautiful. Thank you for another perfect little grandson to love.
Mom

Juli said...

Huge congrats you guys!! I love the pic of all of you together. What a beautiful family! And of course Kyle thinks the fact that you have 4 boys is fabulous. :-) Oh, and I'm late on this, but I'm also definitely curious as to how you potty-trained Mason so quickly? (We're starting to think about it with Jordan and I'm terrified.) We love you guys.
Juli and Kyle

DottieLou said...

makeup for labor... your kidding right .... lol.. my Grandma would be proud of you

Christa said...

That's neat!! I had the same problem with thinking I didn't need the anesthesiologist with Charity....that was TORTURE!!! It's so fun to read your blog and read your point of view of having a baby.... it's just so sweet!! A lot of people now days make it sound so awful and the new baby is hard, and bla bla bla.... thanks for your nice uplifting perspective!! And Congratulations!! That must feel so awesome to know that your whole family is finally here!!

Ashlee said...

Congrats! He is an angel! I can't believe you have 4 boys. Looking at the picture of your family is so amazing, it has grown so fast! Wow...You're DONE!!! What does that feel like and what are the chances of me feeling like that after this one???? Just kidding! So happy for you and I will definitely post some prego pics of me since you keep asking...I really don't want to! July 27th for us! We'll see if I last that long!

The Vance Family said...

Congrats! He is so cute... what a special time! I can't believe you were getting your makeup on... I don't think I looked that good after any of my birthing experiences! Have sooo much fun with that sweet baby boy!

Steve & Brenda said...

Miles is an angel sent from above-what a sweet little man.

Tiff and Rand said...

What a sweet post. I love all that you you mentioned at the end, it's exactly how I feel about my kids, how fast it goes! I can't wait to have a new little one in the house for my kids to love, it's such a neat feeling. He is adorable and I LOVE all of his hair! What a doll!