Tuesday, November 24, 2009

San Diego Wedding

I had the privilege this past weekend to go to San Diego to film the wedding of Mike's cousin, Derek, and his new bride, Ashley. I had made a wedding video for his brother about 5 years ago and the family liked it so much, they hired me to do their next son's wedding as well. I flew into San Diego on Thursday night, all by myself, and got to stay with Mike's aunt and uncle for a night. Their home is absolutely amazing and huge and I felt like I was at a 5 star hotel. Here is the bed I got to sleep in. I've never slept so good in my whole life! Then the next day, we went to take some pre-wedding video and photos at the temple and then at the beach during sun set. Unfortunately I have no still pictures of the beach because I was too busy filming with my video camera, but trust me, it was amazing. The sunset was absolutely perfect and I can't wait to see how it looks on video with the bride and groom.
That night Mike and his parents drove into San Diego and met me at the beach. I spent the rest of the time with them in a hotel close to the temple.
Saturday was the day of the wedding. The San Diego temple has to be by far one of the most beautiful temples. It looks just like a castle in heaven, especially with the bright blue sky behind it. Mike's Grandpa is a sealer, so he did the marriage and it was wonderful. He reminded the bride that when she was mad at Derek, to pray to Heavenly Father that she would be able to see Derek the way Heavenly Father sees him. And he told Derek that if he was ever mad at Ashley to pray to love her the way Heavenly Father loves her. I thought that was really good advice.
These are some pictures I got with my still camera to use as the cover on their DVD. They were absolutely adorable and you could see how happy and in love they were. (and can you believe how blue the sky was?)
Here is the coolest family on the planet, the Harkers, who all came to support Derek and Ashley. It was really fun being there with everyone. It's too bad we all couldn't have stayed a few days more to play in San Diego.
The reception was held at an amazing hotel/resort/golf course. Every detail was planned to perfection. There was wonderful food, a DJ and dancing, and yummy treats everywhere. I didn't get to enjoy too much of it since I was busy working, but I think all the guests had a lot of fun. (Don't worry, it's only apple juice)
I absolutely love being a wedding videographer. I don't really advertise and only get hired by word of mouth. I've been doing it for about 8 years now and I think each video I do only gets better. It's fun to spend a day with people who are happy and in love and I love catching all their cute looks and kisses they give each other when they think no one is watching. It's a great job.
Mike and I flew home together on Sunday. By the time we got back to Salt Lake, a big storm had blown in and it was snowing. Welcome to Utah! We picked up our kids from Grandma and Aunt Tracy (Thank you so much for watching them while we were gone!) and got back to reality.
I sure thought a lot about my boys while I was gone. Mike's aunt also had four boys, the groom being one of them. They have all turned into such amazing, handsome, rightous young men who have all served missions and are marrying wonderful girls in the temple. I can only hope that my four boys turn out as well as those four. But it's good to see that it is possible and I hope that the dreams I have for Mitchel, Max, Mason, and Miles come true too.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful trip! I'm so glad you got to go to San Diego and be with the Harkers. They are really such a great family and we love them. I can't wait to see your wedding video-I know it will be beautiful. Dad and I loved having Mitchel and Miles here. It's fun to hear the sounds, and see the smiles, of children in the morning! How we love them.
MOM

Emily said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! They are a beautiful couple. San Diego sun sure looks nice!

Steve & Brenda said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing S.D. trip with us Mere! What a fun time down there and what a fun job you have, you are pretty blessed. I am sure your boys will all turn out just fine-above the average that's for sure.

The Mather's said...

The San Diego Temple is my favorite. The outside is beautiful but the inside is even better! You do such a great job doing wedding videos. Kristin and Nate have been married a year and a half and I still cry when I watch theirs. Something I will always treasure. I love how you capture their cute personalities! Love you!