Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Overwhelmed

So I'm having one of those weeks where I just feel like I have too much that I should be doing, want to be doing, need to be doing, and am supposed to be doing. (Trust me, I see the irony in that I am blogging about all I should be doing instead of doing it at the moment, but oh well) Anyway, I've been making a running list in my head of all the things I "should" be doing in my life. When I think about it this way, I always get so overwhelmed and wonder if I'm ever going to catch up. So here is my list:
exercise
sleep 7-8 hrs a night
eat healthy
cook healthy meals for my family
drink a bunch of water
go visiting teaching
help Mitchel and Max with their homework
wash dishes
wash and fold tons of laundry
be the Young Woman's president
help in the Cub Scouts
volunteer at the school
get Mitchel to practice the piano
clean the bathrooms
make beds
vacuum
feed, wash, hold, change, play with the baby
answer e-mails
write thank you notes
give service
pray
read the scripture
ponder
go to the temple
have date nights
have sex
family history (for me scrap booking, movies, and blogging)
make breakfast, lunch, and dinner
go grocery shopping
take out the garbage
clean the garage
rake the leaves
attend Enrichment nights
get everyone to the dentist and doctor
make my kids exercise
read to my kids
have enriching activities for my kids
keep the baby from crying
pay the bills
go to work
plan YW activities
plant a garden
take time for "myself"
go to meetings
have food storage
pay tithing
follow a budget
cut coupons
take care of my teeth
brush my kids teeth
floss
use sunscreen
have Family Home Evening
get my boys into "extracurricular" activities
make sure everyone has clipped fingernails
get in the shower
put on makeup
fix hair
drive the car pool
vote (which I did today)
put gas in the van
.....
okay, so I am sure this list could go on and on. I'm not saying that I even have the busiest life on the planet. I know so many moms do so much more than I do. And then there is the matter of time. There is never enough of it! I have no idea where the hours go sometimes.Whenever I get to feeling like this, overwhelmed that is, the scripture that says something like, "Where much is given, much is required," comes to mind. I know that I am so blessed and Heavenly Father has given me so much. There are times though when I just want to forget about all the things I am "supposed" to do and just lay around in my pajamas, but I know that it will all be there waiting for me later, so I might as well get up and go. So speaking of that, I better get done with this post and move on to my "TO DO" list. I'm hoping to at least knock off some Young Women stuff today so we shall see. As for cleaning the garage and planting a garden, those might just have to wait until Spring. Oh well!

6 comments:

Laurie D. said...

That's weird. I have a similar list. And you know what I did today to combat some of it? I sat on my butt and read "The Count of Monte Cristo" and let everything just happen around me. Now I'm feeling guilty because there is no dinner made, the house is a disaster, the laundry is undone and I have no intentions of making my kids practice the piano. I didn't even vote because Kirsten is sick and I couldn't leave the house. Aaaahhhh. A little bit of laziness is okay now and then, right? Good luck with your list.

Steve & Brenda said...

What an exhausting list Mere, slow down and take one thing at a time! Stop overwhelming yourself will ya? I counted at least 15 things on your list that Mike could and should be doing as well-so get your whip crackin'. You are a terrific person and mother so don't get discouraged. I am proud of you sis.

DottieLou said...

You know it never really changes the list just gets different... I no longer have to brush anyones teeth but mine.. or clip any one else's nails... I am sure R would say I am slacking in one of your items mentioned... guess we need a vacation ... hang in there

Emily said...

Back to Disneyland!
Seems like all us mormon mom's have the "guilt" list, where's your do geneology and hand out book of mormon's?! Good thing you're not alone...I like what Laurie D said--sit on your fanny and read a book instead!

Pat Harker said...

I loved your list. It made me want to go back to bed. You are such a good person and a great wife and mom. I know you accomplish much more than you think. And, you've always had a time consuming church calling, too. You know what they say. The busiest people get the most done. When my 5 kids were younger, and I felt like all I did for years was cook,clean, pick up after, laundry and dishes, I was comforted by the fact that there is a time and season for everything. I think you are amazing. And you are doing just what you are supposed to be doing. And thanks for picking up after Mike. :)

Stephanie said...

WOW! That's some list! I say just do what you can, and keep your boys and husband close. These years with so many demands will not last forever, and one day you will have time to spare, I promise. It's all good.
Love you. MOM