Monday, May 3, 2010

Mitchel's big weekend

Mitchel had a great weekend. It started on Thursday when Mitchel received his Wolf badge in Cub Scouts and advanced up to the Bear Den. He also was awarded a gold arrow point and two silver ones. This was a pretty big achievement for both him and I since he spent almost his whole Wolf year without any "real" den leaders and he and I did most of it on our own. We had a lot of fun though and learned a lot. He is excited to be a Bear now.
Friday was Mitchel's 9th birthday. We started the morning with a few presents from Mom and Dad. He got a CD player and a Radio Disney CD. Then he got a lot of toys for swimming this summer. He can't wait to use those!
Pancakes for breakfast!
While Mitchel was at school that day, I attempted to make his cake. He wanted a chocolate and white cake layered together and covered with blue frosting. That sounded easy enough, even though I've never attempted anything more creative that a cake in a 9x13 pan. I thought I could just bake two cakes, cut them in half, then layer them on top of each other. Boy, was I wrong. I couldn't really get them out of the pans to start. Then when I cut them in half, I couldn't pick up each half and they just crumbled all over. CRAP! So I laughed at how lame I am at baking and picked up the phone and called Ream's, who made me a lovely cake. They saved the day!
Mason thought it was great because we spent the rest of the afternoon just munching from the "cake disaster."
That night we had a family party at Aunt Tracy's house. We barbecued hot dogs and hamburgers and played games from "Minute to Win It." So fun! Then Mitchel was given some really fun gifts from his Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins. This one is from Uncle Matt and was the hit of the evening. It is a K'nex Roller Coaster that has 1303 pieces. Mitchel was so excited! (and so was Max)
We loved having all the Millers and Harkers there to celebrate with Mitchel. He loved every minute of it and said it was one of the best birthdays ever. (But he does say that every year!)
Tonight we are going to celebrate a little more by going to Hollywood Connection for Family Home Evening.
It's amazing to think how much my life changed nine years ago. Who knew that welcoming Mitchel into my life would change me forever? We have laughed together, cried together, prayed together, hurt together, played together, learned together, and grown so much over these past nine years. I know I am not the same person I was then, because being a mother is like no other adventure you could ever have. There are days when I see Mitchel and my heart just feels like bursting with pride and love. And, let's face it, there are days when I want to knock his block off. But all the ups and downs of parenthood are so worth it. It is by far the hardest job I've ever done, but also the most rewarding. I am loving watching Mitchel grow into a young man with so much to offer this world. I hope I am doing all I can to teach him and love him. He is such a great kid and I am so glad that he is my son!
Happy Birthday Mitchel! I love you!

4 comments:

Adrianne Miller said...

Happy Bday Mitchel! It was a fun party!

Laurie D. said...

I love you. Your whole cake episode cracked me up. I can't tell you how many stupid cake fiascoes I've had over the years because I think I can do it every time. I'm glad Mitchel had such a great birthday.

Stephanie said...

Well, that made me cry. I love that you love Mitchel. I do,too. He is a very special boy. His birthday was great! I had fun at his party with all the family. He really is growing up, and you are a great mom for him.
Love you both.

Steve & Brenda said...

What a blast your party was Mitchel! I loved rolling the Oreo cookie down my face, even if I didn't win! Great times and a great motherly tribute to your first-born "Mom!"