Sunday, March 28, 2010

Not all it's cracked up to be

There are certain words that get me excited. One of them is FREE! I love everything FREE and do all I can to get as much FREE things as possible. So when I heard that there was a FREE Easter egg hunt at This is the Place State Park, I thought, "Fun for all, and it's FREE!" So up we went on Saturday to get our share of FREE eggs and stuff. We arrived around 1:20 p.m. The hunt was advertised to start at 2:00. I knew there would be a lot of people, because hey, everyone likes FREE, but when we got there, the line was already a mile long. They weren't letting anyone in until 2:00 so we waited in this major line that just kept growing and growing for 40 minutes in the freezing wind.They finally let the herd of thousands of people in the gates and we all went to our respective age group sights for the hunt. Then we had to wait another 30 minutes for the cannon to go off for the whole thing to start. I took Mitchel and Max to the one area, while Mike took Mason and Miles to the little kid area. They boys were excited because they could see the many plastic eggs inside the fence. They were sure that they would get some, even though there were hundreds of other children lined up at the fence with them.
Finally, the wait was over and both of them crawled through the fence into the maham. 45 SECONDS later, Max reappears at the fence bawling his head off holding a broken basket and no eggs. Meanwhile Mason and Mike reappear with Mason bawling his head off because he didn't want to go with Dad, he wanted me to go with him. 15 SECONDS after that, Mitchel arrives back at the fence with a total of 3 eggs and a disappointed look.
In a total
45 SECONDS
the FREE event was over, kids were bawling, everything was gone and we were done. Then it was another 20 minutes of making it past all the people and back to the parking lot to get in the van and get out of there.
So, lets review what we got for FREE:
1) 1 1/2 hours of waiting in the freezing cold wind
2) 45 seconds of hunting for Easter eggs
3) two bawling children and 1 disappointed one
4) 12 eggs full of crap
5) an exhausted mom and a crabby dad
I swear never again to go to any public event for children that is publicised as FREE. Not worth it!!!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

This was one of the funniest posts I've ever read!! It made me laugh right out LOUD! That picture of Max with the empty basket says it ALL! FREE is NOT always what it's cracked up to be! Remember-you usually get EGGS-actly what you pay for!!!

Emily said...

Don't you hate it when that happens?! Poor Max and his broken, empty basket!

Unknown said...

That was hilarious (for me to read=). I can only imagine....why even do an event if you know you won't have enough??? Thanks for the laugh and the advice!

Laurie D. said...

What a bummer. Joel and I hate crowds, so we never take our kids to stuff like this. We're not very fun parents. At least you tried, right?

Wendy said...

We were pretty disappointed too. We went to the Days of 47 event at This is the Place last year that was free, and it wasn't NEARLY as bad. It was during the week, I think that was a big contributing factor. I brought my sister because I kenw it would be chaotic, but that place was INSANE! I just posted about it on our blog too, at least we redeemed it for Roman by letting him ride the train, we got a total of ONE egg...yeah, awesome.

DottieLou said...

one year I had the hair brained Idea that it would be awesome to go to Temple Square for the turning on of the Christmas Lights... holy crap... so not worth it 20,000 people cramed between the VC and the Temple, helicoptors flying over head so you could not hear a thing... I finally said everyone grab a belt loop dont let go and we are out of here. Never try that (Zach was a baby).. so imagine it now

Momma Dil said...

ooooooh...my tummy...that's a funny story!

Steve & Brenda said...

WOW, I am sorry Mere. "Free" events are usually meant to get you there so you will BUY what the have for sale. Also to get those who have never been there before to see what they have to offer. It is called "publicity". Don't be fooled again. Sorry you had to find out the hard way, but it sure makes for a funny story!