Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Old friends are the best!

My boys and I got to take a little "road trip" up to Perry, Utah on Monday to visit one of my best friends from High School. Laurie and I were cheerleaders together both in Jr. High (go Generals) and at Taylorsville High School. Even back in High School, Laurie had it all together. I always thought of her as the "pretty one" of my friends (and she got to date all the "HOT" guys) but she was also incredibly smart, funny, and kind to everyone. I don't know of anyone who didn't like Laurie. She was also very spiritual and kept me from going off on the wrong path with her amazing example. She also made it possible for me to pass the AP American and European History tests by getting me to study all the time (and letting me use her vocabulary cards which I was too lazy to make) She is now the mother of 4 adorable children. She sews, blogs, does food storage, studies gospel topics like the second coming, cans, does Scouting activities with her son, takes her kids on awesome adventures, supports her husband in his business, and a million other things that I could never live up to.The cool thing about visiting an old friend, is that they know the real you from the beginning, and they like you anyway. Even though we haven't seen each other much since High School, when we do talk or get together, it's like no time has passed at all. That to me is the sign of a real friendship. It was so fun to go up there and spend some time together and have our kids play together. Thanks Laurie for all your years of friendship to me (and for getting me started on Facebook!) I'll love you for forever! Here is a little trip down memory lane!
(Senior Year Varsity Cheerleaders)

(Us four kind of stuck together in High School. Me, Kali, Jenn, and Laurie)

(Junior Year-JV cheerleading)

5 comments:

Nate and Kristin said...

That's so neat that you have been able to stay in touch with such a good friend! But after reading your post everything you described about your friend reminded me of you! You also have all those amazing qualities your wonderful friend has!

Laurie D. said...

Dang it Meredith! You made me cry. Yeah, let's talk about Mrs. Overachiever; you have the same amount of kids, work two different jobs, workout every day, plan huge parties, blog, scrapbook, and oh yeah, aren't you the Young Women's President? Hmmmm...you funny girl. I thought you were the one who got ME through AP American History. Thanks for coming up. I had a great time. And yes, old friends are the best!

Emily said...

Old friends ARE the best! My friend Carolee and I are just like that too, can not see each other for months and then get together and picked right up where we left off...thank goodness for life-long friends, and so funny to see the old pics, I remember having stars in my eyes and mini-cheer with all of you and your cool-ness!

DottieLou said...

old friends are the best... I just reconnected with someone from my old ward... thru facebook.. it has been great... I really miss having a really good girlfriend...

Steve & Brenda said...

Great post Mere-you are lucky to have had such great friends in life. The helped you become who you are now-and awesome sister and mother too.